Call Out For Proposals – Dance City Residencies Without Borders
Dance City is seeking proposals from dance artists/companies based in the European Union and from outside the UK/EU to undertake two, one week residencies as part of our new Residencies without Borders programme. The residencies we are looking to support can be thematically diverse and the work you choose to apply with can be live performance, dance film or movement research. Dance City is a proud member of the European Dance House Network and the National Dance Network, and values and supports the global community of artists/companies we work with. We want to hear from artists/companies who share our mission to develop artistic exchange and cross-cultural dialogue.
Established for over 30 years Dance City is the North East’s leading development organisation for dance, which exists to lead and support a thriving dance ecology in the region. We present a regular programme of dance performances from contemporary to ballet, world to breakdance bringing leading North East, British and International dance to Newcastle. We also commission original new works, which premiere in our theatre. To find out more about Dance City please visit our website – https://www.dancecity.co.uk/about-us/
What you will receive:
- £750 bursary towards the cost of your residency (paid by BACS in pounds sterling upon receipt of an invoice, subject to the currency exchange rate at the time of payment)
- 1 week (5 days) of studio space at our Newcastle venue. (Dance City, Temple Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4BR) The studio will be available from 9am – 5pm.
- 10% discount in our DC café for the duration of your stay
- A one to one meeting with Dance City’s Artistic Director and/or Creative Producer at a mutually convenient time during the residency week.
- Two, one week residencies (one per artist/company) can be selected from the dates available below:
Monday 13th July – Friday 17th July 2020 – Studio 4 Newcastle
Monday 14th December – Friday 18th December 2020 – Theatre Newcastle
Monday 4th January – Friday 8th January 2021 – Theatre Newcastle
Monday 19th July – Friday 23th July 2021 – Theatre Newcastle
What you must contribute:
- The chosen artist/company will lead a daily Professional Class each morning from 9.30am – 11am. Maximum class size – 20. The classes are open to local professionals and are free of charge to attend.
- Agree to meet for a team ‘huddle’ at 9am – 9.30am on the Monday morning, to meet the Dance City team and members of our networks. Tea and coffee will be provided.
- If appropriate, we can arrange to advertise a sharing of your work at the end of the residency week if you wish. This is optional and can be confirmed during the residency week if preferred.
Notes to consider:
- The work you are making should be a new idea, or a project you are currently researching and developing. Existing work which you are revisiting or redeveloping is not eligible.
- The chosen artist/company should arrive in the region the day before the residency begins to ensure maximum use of our facilities
- We encourage you to consider the environment when booking your travel arrangements.
- All visas, health insurance and travel insurance is to be arranged and paid for by the chosen artist/company. Dance City cannot provide advice or assistance on these matters.
- Our public dance classes take place each evening, therefore all equipment must be cleared from the studio at the end of each day. Please advise if you require overnight storage of any items.
- Dance City can offer a copy of our digs list which includes accommodation options for artists. The artist/company is responsible for arranging their own accommodation.
- No technical support is provided during the residency. You/your team are not permitted to use the in-house lighting and sound equipment without our supervision. This can be arranged at cost.
- Applicants must be currently residing in the EU or other international country, and not already in the UK.
- All replies within the application form and correspondence with Dance City must be made using the English language.
Please complete and return by email the following information:
- The application form below
- Your CV (max 2 pages) Please include details of a referee who can vouch for your teaching expertise at a professional level (name, phone number & email)
- One image and one video (max 5mins) of your work. (This can be anything from your portfolio.) Media files must be sent using WeTransfer.
If you require this information in another format or would like to apply either by phone or in person, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your request.
Deadline Friday 13th March 2020, 12 noon.
Successful artists will be notified by email by Friday 27th March 2020. Unsuccessful artists will be notified by Tuesday 31st March. Please note that we are unable to offer feedback on your application.