MA Advanced Dance Performance (pending approval)
Start date: September 2018
Application Deadline: 13 April 2018
Audition Date: 20 April 2018, 9.30am-5pm (group activity & individual interview)
Cost: £7995 (TBC)
About the MA Advanced Dance Performance
Delivered by Dance City this is brand new MA programme starts in September 2018. It is a practice based qualification which offers new and recent dance graduates the opportunity to develop their dance practice and technique, learn and develop choreography and perform their work.
MA students will work as a team in a company, learning and creating new choreography with internal and external choreographers, develop technique through regular class and tour the work made to various locations across the country. You’ll be taught by leading arts practitioners.
This is the only practice based MA dance in the North. A second dance MA in the North East, also run by Dance City is aimed at those who have a period of time of already working in the sector.
Why Choose the MA Advanced Dance Performance?
- Increase your earning and employability potential.
- Learn from leading sector professionals.
- Access state of the art facilities at Dance City.
The course will be based at Dance City’s landmark building in Newcastle city centre with access to state of the art facilities, studios and theatre. We are at the interface of the professional and education sector and have extensive skills in working with and in the professional sector and within the student marketplace, hosting many hundreds of students in our building each year.
Who is it for?
New and recent dance graduates.
What will you study?
This is a 43 week course.
- Advanced technical training in ballet and contemporary styles
- Complementary techniques – pilates, fitness training, strength and conditioning
- Rigorous and detailed study of selected repertoire works
- Development and performance of 3 x newly commissioned works
- Touring of created works
- Development and realisation of a choreographed work, delivery of teaching sessions or a cross-arts project (film, installation etc)
What Can I Expect to Develop?
- Improved dance technique across a variety of styles
- An advanced understanding of choreographic practice
- An advanced understanding of how to work with choreographers
- An advanced understanding of how to work as part of a team/ company
- An advanced understanding of creative choreographic input within a company
- A better understanding of the dance touring landscape and opportunities
- The capability to reflect on learning and express this to another
- Deeper understanding of current choreographic/dance trends
- Ability to absorb different learning methodologies and embody them
Where is it based?
Delivered in Dance City’s landmark building, utilising the studios and theatre.
The Dance City venue is the ideal place for the students to be based. Dance City programmes more professional performances in its theatre each year than any other theatre outside London.
For further information please use this link: www.dancecity.co.uk
What are the Entry Requirements?
Undergraduate degree in dance and/or relevant professional performance experience.
How can this course be funded?
This course can be self-funded or student loans apply.
Student loan information links:
View more information about government career development loans and grants:
View Career Development Bank Loans:
How to Apply
To apply for this course please send a completed application form to: HE.email@example.com by 13 April 2018
PHOTO CREDIT: Rhys Cozens – National Dance Company Wales – Folk by Caroline Finn